In the realm of European sports cars, few have achieved the exalted and sometimes mythical status of Lotus.
The company was formed as Lotus Engineering Ltd. by engineers Colin Chapman and Colin Dare in 1952. The first factory was situated in old stables behind the Railway Hotel in Hornsey, North London. Team Lotus, which was split off from Lotus Engineering in 1954, was active and competitive in Formula One racing from 1958 to 1994. They met with great racing success from the beginning by relying on Chapman’s motto of “Simplify, then add lightness”.
The Lotus Elite offered here is a perfect example of the Lotus engineering principles. With a wheelbase of 88 inches, and width less than 60 inches, the Elite weighs in at just 1,110 pounds. The 1.2 L straight 4 producing between 75 and 105 hp, depending on trim and tune. The Lotus 14 (1957–1963): Lotus Elite, was their very first production street car.
This Elite was imported by a TWA pilot based in Kansas City, MO, (TWA Headquarters) who transported the cylinder head back to England and Brabham’s Racing Development Company who modified it to racing specs and a 5 bearing cam plus the addition of the twin Webber Carburetors’. It has remained in the Kansas City area since and was restored approximately 10 years ago including a complete rebuild of engine, transmission and differential. It is being offered with its own custom built and painted to match trailer.